Today is a big day. Today is my birthday. I love my birthday. Always have. I love to celebrate and lucky for me, I just had lunch with two very dear friends that I’ve known for about 45% of my life (let’s just say over 20 years). My phone has been beeping off the hook with people writing on my facebook wall to wish me happy birthday – oh the love I’m feeling today. Thank you all.
This year feels different then the others. Do I feel old? A part of me does, yet a part of me doesn’t. I’m different, I feel wiser. That might sound funny. Lately, I have felt like I’ve been on a journey, a journey to discover who I am.
There is a great quote by Karen Lamb ~ “A Year From Now You Will Wish You Started Today” that is really hitting home with me. There have been so many things that I’ve wanted to do, but I’ve put them off for some reason or another.
This year, I’ve decided to put together a birthday bucket list. A list of things that I’ve always said that I wanted to do but I haven’t done them. As part of my journey, I’ve decided that a few of these need to be done by myself. It might surprise you, but I don’t do a whole lot by myself. I’m always with friends or family. So here goes:
1) Go on a cooking retreat and learn to create some amazing meals.
2) Spend a weekend away and just reflect.
3) Spend the weekend in Astoria, Oregon. I know – random, but I’ve always wanted to go ever since I saw the movie Goonies.
4) Take French lessons.
5) A Napa girls weekend (I know – I know).
6) Learn how to sew (both my mom and sister are amazing seamstresses and I can hardly sew a straight line).
7) Get my groove on and take a hip hop class (if my husband is reading this, he probably has an image in his mind which is making him laugh hysterically).
8) Learn how to use electric tools so I can build something. (The little mister and I did build a step, but I want to saw and drill).
9) Take an interior design class.
10) Take a cake decorating class.
I see a theme, don’t you? It all coincides with part my 2013 vision for myself. Create.Learn.Travel.
There is much more I’d like to do, but this is a good start. Have you ever created a bucket list? Maybe 2013 is your year to step out and do that something that you’ve been wanting to do, but have just put off.
Let the celebrating commence.